Why do Cable Companies, Dish, DirecTV and AT&T U-verse have such a limited selection of Video-on-Demand and Pay-per-View Movies? We have no idea either. However, this Holiday Season, we are buying a Roku Box to change all that… and if you love to watch movies (like we do), you should buy one too!
Roku, NetFlix and Amazon have teamed up to provide you easy access to 50,000 Videos-on-Demand directly on your home or office TV.
* 40,000+ movies and TV episodes available from Amazon Video On Demand
* 12,000+ movies and TV episodes available with your Netflix subscription
* Start watching movies on your TV in seconds using your high-speed Internet connection
* Instantly plays the entire Netflix Instant Watch library if you have a Netflix membership – no additional subscription cost required, and viewing is unlimited
* Instantly plays over 45,000 movies and shows from Amazon Video On Demand
* Connecting is easy – both Wi-Fi and Ethernet are built in
* Works with virtually any TV – old or new – including HDTVs
New (November 2009), Roku just added the following 10 content channels to the product for FREE: Pandora, Facebook Photos, Revision3, Mediafly, TWiT, blip.tv, Flickr, FrameChannel, Motionbox and MobileTribe.
- Netflix – Play movies and TV shows from your Netflix Instant Queue
- Amazon.com – Video on Demand – Browse, purchase, and play the latest hit movies and TV shows
- MLB.com – Watch all out-of-market baseball games live and on demand
- Pandora – Free service that plays music personalized for you
- Facebook Photos – View your Facebook photo albums, as well as friends’ photos
- Flickr – Browse your own photos and public photos on Flickr
- Motionbox – Watch your personal videos instantly on your TV with Motionbox
- Mediafly – Your premier source of personalized, on-demand content from the web
- Blimp.tv – Hosts and distributes the best original Web shows
- twit.tv – Netcasts you love from people you trust
- Revision3 – Home of Diggnation, Tekzilla and tons more great shows for the Internet generation
- framechannel – View your photos along with 1000+ channels of content — free
- MobileTribe – Your favorite social networks are now on your Roku player
Roku Player Unboxing and Set-up – YouTube Video
It is very easy to set up the Roku Player. There are four basic steps:
- Plug the box into your TV
- Connect the box to the internet using a direct cable or through your wireless Wi-Fi network
- Walk through the set-up menus on the TV screen
- Turn it on and start watching your first Movie or TV Show… or listen to Music with Pandora (new)
Watch the video below to see how one user unboxed and set up a new Roku Player for Netflix.
Please comment with any tips that you can pass on for new Roku owners.
More Roku Information & Customer Reivews
There are three Roku models available. Each product link (to Amazon.com) below provides you with more product information, current pricing and customer reviews.
Roku SD Player – Entry Level if you don’t have HDTVs – $79
Roku HD Player – HDTV & WiFi – $99 (We’re Buying This Model)
Roku HD-XR Player – HDTV & Wi-Fi N-Dual Band (Newest Technology) 29